Wednesday, February 3, 2010

All Gone

Alex's "ABlog," which was hosted by Yahoo!'s Geocities, is gone. Starting in 2004, I had created a couple dozen pages or so of photos, blogs, updates about Alex and her development, activities, etc. But after I joined Facebook in 2008, I directed all ABlog traffic to Facebook and used ABlog as strictly an archive site.

But last fall, I kept getting this nagging feeling that I needed to save those pages somewhere else for safekeeping, as a jpeg or PDF or something -- anything. But I didn't. And lo and behold, when I went out to the ABlog during Christmas break, it was gone. Instead was a note that Geocities had been closed down as of October. I didn't see the e-mail notices because I never check my Yahoo! account. I still have all the photos saved, but all the "What She's Saying" and "Vital Statistics" -type stuff is gone. I'm sad, but mostly I'm upset with myself for not following the prompting I got last fall.

Let this be a lesson (for me, anyway) -- if someone is speaking to you, particularly on the inside, don't ignore it. Fortunately, this was just a Web site :) I got the living and breathing kid with me every day and am so thankful for that -- heh, a couple of Web pages doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore ...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Alex's blog. I say you start a new one on blogspot. :)

    Thanks for the comment! And yes, get busy on that book. :P

    ReplyDelete