OK, I've been watching this with curiosity, but it's so ridiculous now:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32210408/ns/politics-white_house/from/ET
This story is hilarious, especially now that we know that the so-called racist neighbor never mentioned race in her 911 call, and when pressed by the 911 operator, she said the suspects might be Hispanic. Her lawyer was perplexed why her client, presumably a good neighbor, has to go to work today, while Sgt. Crowley and Prof. Gates get to have a beer with the president (I liked how Colin Powell said these two boys merely needed "adult supervision" during the original incident). So I kind of think this is turning into a boys-will-be-boys situation.
Case in point: this "beer summit" totally reeks of sexism (so to speak). Pres. Obama and his drinking buddies out on the South Lawn, talking' shop ... Melissa suggested that if a woman had been invited, perhaps it would've been a "shopping summit."
And, more importantly: who will sit by whom at said picnic table (yes, MSNBC has reported that a picnic table will be engaged during said summit)? The president can't sit by Gates because they were already friends and it may look biased, Gates can't sit by Crowley because they're the two disputees, and Obama can't sit by Crowley because he'll end up chatting directly across the table with his buddy Gates, while Crowley is left alone to the side waiting for the final lunch bell to ring. Maybe the president can just sit on the cooler, because you know how guys don't like to sit that close to each other on bench seating ...
I love my president, in large part because he kept it real during his campaign and could relate to the average man (IMO). But now that he's president, I guess I don't like it so much. Hmm, go figure, I'm a hypocrite. I hope Pres. Obama shows up in his lawn-mowing shorts. Maybe Hank Hill will stop by.
this whole thing is silly. i agree.
ReplyDeletei still think it had less to do with the parties involved than it did the public and the vultures. we like a show. you know it's true. i still think the "let's have a beer" thing was an empty gesture until everyone thought, "HE BETTER HAVE A BEER WITH THEM FOR REAL NOW!"
peace in a bottle. i remember those days. ;)
an empty gesture until everyone thought, "HE BETTER HAVE A BEER WITH THEM FOR REAL NOW!"
ReplyDelete- ha!
peace in a bottle
- double ha!